Ramadan is one of the Islamic months. Out of 12 Islamic months Ramadan has got its own prominence in Islam. Muslims all over the world perform fasting during day time in Ramadan and offer prayers. According to Islam, Muhammad(pbuh) received revelations by Jibrail (also called Gibrail) in the month of Ramadan. So this month has got very importance. People offer regular and special prayers in this month. Any offerings or prayers done in this month will give 70 times of reward during Ramadaan. It is believed that doors of Hell are shut in this month and Heaven doors are opened. Muslims offer huge prayers in this month.
Why Ramadan is Celebrated?
There are 2 important reasons for celebrating Ramadan.
- Muhammad was chosen prophet in this month only.
- It is believed that the Quran was gifted to mankind through Muhammad(pbuh) in this month only. On Shab-e-meraj The Quran and Fasting along with 5 times of Namaaz are gifted to Mankind.
Ramadan is a month to practice self-restraint; a time to cleanse the body and soul from impurities and re-focus one’s self on worship of Allah.
5 Farz of Islam:
The five pillars on which Islam is built are as following:
- Eemaan (Belief)
- Namaaz (Prayer)
First 3 are compulsory for each and every Muslim. Where as ‘Zakat’ and ‘Haj’ are compulsory only on those who are wealthy enough for those.
Importance of Fasting during Ramzaan:
Fasting in Ramdan is a compulsory (Duty, Farz) for every Muslim. At the same time not compulsory for children (aged less than 9 Years), Pregnant women, Mothers who give milk to infants Aged people and those who are suffering (ill or patient). Fasting is for purifying one’s soul, refocus on Allah and do self-sacrifice. Fasting is something more than not just eating and drinking. Five parts of the human being must also involve in fasting. Let us see what they are and how do they involve.
- Tongue-must be restrained from gossips and backbiting.
- Eyes-must restrain themselves from looking at unlawful things.
- Hand-must not touch or take anything that does not belong to it.
- Ears-must refrain from listening to idle talk or obscene words.
- Feet-must refrain from going to sinful places.
Along with the above 5 times prayer and Taraweeh namaz (Special prayers offered during Ramzaan) completes fasting.